Tuesday 20 July 2010

Part B...

I chose to specifically to focus my event opportunity (part B of the Arts Award) on the Archipelago gallery. We went to a lot of galleries during my time at the gallery but I wanted somewhere I hadn’t been before and I was intrigued to know the running behind this small, mostly print-based gallery. I was particularly interested in the fact it has a studio that is dedicated purely to art editioning, producing hand-pulled silk screen prints (a very traditional craft) and posters for the art market.

The work that is sold and exhibited consists of limited edition prints, original artworks and photographs that are all contemporary. Archipelago produces silkscreen prints by artists such as Kid Acne and Phlegm - local graffiti-based artists whose work is scattered all around the streets of Sheffield. I like how the gallery develops this street art into accessible prints that people can buy as a way of bringing this art inside. The gallery will take a print and reproduce a limited edition silk screen (say 100 in total) that it then sells.

Although a good idea, I do feel that bringing street based art into the gallery, away from the street context, does reduce their impact from when you might see them in physical locations. Not all of the work is like this though. The work here consisted of designers, illustrators and graphic artists which overall creates very effective pieces of work.

Rupert Wood, the founder and manager of the gallery took me around the workrooms where the silkscreen printing is produced. I did not realise how complicated and time consuming it is to make one individual image and it has made me appreciate the amount of work that goes into each print.

My favourite group of images on display were the Club Pony posters, which were quite recently part of the ‘Too Many Parties’ exhibition that the gallery held. Each of these posters were specially designed by an artist named Robin Beck. These stood out to me, as I like how they are iconic posters from the past, which will have been previously decorating the streets of Sheffield. This is another form of art that has been brought inside when originally it was supposed to be outside capturing the publics’ eye.

The images on these posters immediately captured my attention as they are quite shocking and controversial cartoons with highlight the type of people that they will once have been targeting. I think the idea of creating images from past posters is intriguing and inspiring.

When I arrived at the gallery the first thing that struck me were the premises. The traditional 19th century industrial building consisting of complex rooms all around a central courtyard immediately added character to the gallery. During my visit I found out that the building previously housed an engraving works, penknife manufactures, recording studios and a building site office, which I think emphasizes the traditional charm of the building even more.

The images up for sale were displayed all around these complex rooms, which created the impression you were in a big terraced house, highlighted by the original feature of fireplaces and old windows. The quirky yet homely atmosphere of this gallery enabled you to visualise the screen prints in your own house.

There was no show in the changing exhibition gallery at Archipelago during my visit but there was still plenty to enjoy. I was interested to find out that Kid Acne curates all of the exhibitions at the gallery. It’s good to know that local artists are actively involved with the gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment